Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Gene, Gene, The Dancin' Machine

I love this guy. I remember watching THE GONG SHOW as a kid and being floored by the wackiness that ensued during that 1/2 hour show hosted by none other than Chuck Barris.

I don't usually get starstruck but when I was a Page at NBC I hung out with Gene Gene the Dancing machine who was working the Tonight Show and he told me stories of the Gong Show. Man I was in heaven. What a cool guy. I even did my impersonation of him of when I was kid dancing like him. He laughed, and probably thought I was retarded. But what I loved most of all was that he was the anti-cool, and people loved it.

Unfortunately diabetes caused Gene to have both legs amputated from the knees down but that'll never stop the pure joy of watching a big dude dance his ass off without a care in the world.



P.S. F-Danny Terrio, and Dance Fever. Gino the Ginny's got your number.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i LOVED gene the dancing machine! i miss the gong show too. sorry to hear that he had to have his legs amputated..that's so sad....

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say I don't remember Gene. Cool that you got to hang with him, though. To be honest, other than the Unknown Comic (the dude in a tux with the bag over his head), I don't remember much of the Gong Show.

Anonymous said...

Gene was awsome. but the best thing ever was the "popsicle twins"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQsO7RGBE1Y

JOHN DVI-VARDHANA said...

Popsicle Twins got the show axed....I wonder why?

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about ol' Gene Gene.

I guess he could still get hisself some kind of walker/bungee cord contraption and do pretty much the same though, huh?

Anonymous said...

I like it, thank you. :)

new diet pill


exercise to lose body fat


With best regards...

Anonymous said...

Hey anonymous-- how about tryin' a .44 magnum diet pill! It's permanent MF'er!