Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Madcap Laughs and dies...RIP Syd Barrett




This is what happens when you fry your brain on acid 24/7 in the late 1960's: you create one of the greatest bands in history, PINK FLOYD. Syd Barrett died today at age 60 and was the original founders of the band. He was instrumental in their tripped out acid rock, with such classics as "See Emily Play" and one of my favorites "Interstellar Overdrive". I heard his solo album back in High School "The Madcap Laughs" but quite honestly was too young to appreciate it's experimental sonic quality. Ironically, I did get into Lou Reed and The Velvet Underground's stuff though.

While I'm on the Pink Floyd - I don't really listen to any of their stuff much now as I burned out on them between 1984 - 1987. That's 3 years of f-up adolescence listening to great music that's quite frankly, depressing. I can still listen to "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here" but knowing "Dark Side" verbatim doesn't make it enjoyable anymore. "The Wall" I can't even get to side 2 anymore, but they're still some of the best albums ever made. As for the "Final Cut" I listened to my CASSETTE of it 2 months ago after a 10 year layoff and still knew every depressing note. (Good album though) I will still champion "Meddle" with one of my faves "One of These Days".

So my point? It's a good thing Barrett left the band and Gilmour took over because they were a better band...Kudos to Alan Parsons producing on Dark Side of the Moon, although you should sue Coldplay's ass for stealing your stuff.

So rest in peace you fried up "crazy diamond" they'll never another like you again.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i'll drink to that.

i used to fall asleep to side 2 of dark side every night in jr. high & h.s. like you and everyone else i know, i am burnt out on the floyd, zepplin and the who...someday i'll get back into them....

RIP syd...

Lori said...

Well said! And I'll totally buy you a coke, dude...but your post is better than mine! I don't know sh*t about Syd or really early Floyd like you do. I'm one of those newbies who really does like the new stuff post-Waters. BUT...I LOVE 'Meddle.' That is such a great album.

I'm psyched for that Waters concert, btw. Wonder if he'll add special stuff to remember ole Syd.

Oh, btw...the 'Pulse' DVD is out...or will be next week. We ordered it from Amazon...it's supposed to be a real must-have for any Floyd fans.

Unknown said...

i wasn't able to go to any concerts but i did go to laser zepplin and laser floyd at the trenton museum ;)

JOHN DVI-VARDHANA said...

Wow Zeppelin over VH, wow - Joe Rocco are you on LSD?

TheOneTrueGuy said...

I'll always prefer Waterless Floyd over Floydless Waters (get THAT one around your pot-muddled brain!) but I'm still actually looking forward to seeing ol' Roger "I'm a terminal headcase" Waters at the Bowl in October. I wonder if he and Gilmour both attended the funeral without gettin' all Townshendy on each other... and I mean the guitar bashing thing, not the gay thing!

I guess Syd can finally stop holding onto that steel rail.