Sunday, August 27, 2006

INCREDIBLE




So far this August I'm 2 for 2. I've never heard of Vince Papale before; being from NYC I had the luxury and curse of having 2 teams for every major sport, so if one's stinking up the joint hopefully the other wasn't. Except for the Yankees who just suck.

When I went to College in Philadelphia, in 1989 I knew that I was in unfamiliar ground. I was a Mets / Rangers / Knicks / Giants & Jets Fan. But I was warned about the Philadelphia fans (the ones who made throwing snowballs at Santa Claus and opposing NFL teams fashionable) so the one time I went to a Phillies game in Sept. of 1989 at Vets stadium I didn't wear any METS regallia or open my mouth, especially since I went by myself.

As for the Eagles, I always had a healthy respect for them; even as a kid I thought their helmets looked cool with the wings on them, and the Randall Cunningham team of the late '80's early '90's were always exciting to watch.

How times have changed- Sports now is 1000% an Business and I feel that most of the millionaire players with their questionable character off the field makes watching football cold and lifeless for me, because of the mercenary way players move from team to team, only really caring about themselves.

Which is why INVINCIBLE is a lightning shot of confidence that makes you want to believe in sports figures and to bigger degree yourself again. Nothing is out of reach for anybody.

Mark Wahlberg's impressive performance rivals that of his star making turn in Boogie Nights, and dare I say it, Oscar Worthy. I don't believe that with the more "Serious, Cynical and Darker " films that end off each year he'll recieve one , but if Tom Hanks can win for "Forrest Gump" I don't feel that it's out of reach.

They captured the feel and essence of the 1970's Philadelphia real well, from the clothes, music, the location shooting, and even adding a dead ringer for Joe Lampone - the actor who play's Papale's best friend. According to Keegs this was a close to 1970's Philly as we're gonna get today.

Papale hits rock bottom before making each painstaking step closer to achieving his dream of playing for his hometown team, however it's his HUMILTY that makes him so special. I actually got choked up when at one point he causes a fumble on a kickoff, and ends up with touchdown- and stands with his arms outstretched, acknowledging the hometown fans and allowing all of them to live the dream with him. I really also liked the added real footage of the real Papale added at the end of the film. On the 30th anniversary of ROCKY I couldn't think of a better film to hand the torch to.

Invincible is OUTSTANDING.

6 comments:

Lori said...

Yeah! Yo Philly! (I got to say it before Joe! hee hee)

Unknown said...

this was a great film, FLY EAGLES FLY! ON THE ROAD TO VICTORY!!!!

walhberg has gotten my respect as an actor over the years. i rented rockstar and during the closing credits, during a run through on a stage, someone put his hit Good Vibrations on and he took it in stride and started to dance to it, old skool style :) the guy has a sense of humor so that's good in my book :)

we need to get some phila gear for tiki..

-deirdre

Anonymous said...

FRANK RIZZO FOR MAYOR!!

ok I got that out of my system

Great review.
--k

TheOneTrueGuy said...

I'm still waiting for the "feel good" biography of Ramona Africa.

But I'm glad this turned out well. We'll have to catch it on DVD.

kegn_15 said...

feel good?

Ramona Africa played by Whoopi Goldberg


Mayor Wilson Goode played by Samuel L Jackson

Chief of the Fire Dept played by Tom Hanks

Chief of Police played by jack Black

JOHN DVI-VARDHANA said...

...When all hell's breaking loose you'll be riding the eye of the storm!!