Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ain't Nothing like BUCKETHEAD!



I just showed "The Fabulous Adventures of Mr. Buckethead" to my pals Jay Warnesky and Jon Gebhart the other night. It was the first for both time they had ever seen this Philadelphia classic. Big Daddy Davey Boy Ryan was there for the first couple of minutes but was pretty wiped out at so he went home. I'd normally call him a pussy, but at 34, married, with a baby girl on the way- 10:30pm on a Saturday's gettin' late. Unless you're a vampire like Jonny Gebhart.

Mr. Buckethead is the creation of Philadelphia's true twisted genius, filmmaker Alex Strang - who if I had met earlier during my tenure at my college, I would've followed his lead into his Sweetly Bizzare cinema. His classic, films include the Sci Fi opus- "Modern Day Nuclear War" and the Buckethead films.

Strang was interested in Japanese TV shows in the 1970's like "Spectra Man", Godzilla feature films, and he creates characters from Sid and Marty Kroft influences. To say that he was an enigma to the "Open Minded Art School-Elitist Film as Art" Professors at college is an understatement. The dude's an entertainer, and a funky one as well- I'll take Tubsy the Paper Boy, his weird foam monsters and Big Daddy X over any of the films of Jonas Mekus, Maya Deren and Stan Fuckin' Brackage's "Mothlight" any day of the week.

Strang has also now created Puppet Karaoke shows in Philly, (singing puppets anyone?) which are doing quite well, and check it out on the link below. Also he's now moved on to PODCASTS of the Puppet shows so if you have iTunes you can down load the videos FOR FREE!!!


"Don't call the police.....Get Buckethead!"

BUCKETHEAD and his Puppet pals are here: http://www.cybergecko.com/


(Photo Credits Cybergecko)

6 comments:

Lori said...

Her name was ANNNNNNAAAA...

Lori said...

Forgot to add: I so agree...I'll take MDNW over Last Year at Marienbad (un film we can blame all the damned Calvin Klein commercials on) any day.

But re: Maya Deren...I gotta say, that was some trippy sh*t. I sorta liked Mirrorface. And you gotta love using refrigerator hum for score. And at least they didn't make us watch that one every semester like friggin' Marienbad.

JOHN DVI-VARDHANA said...

Now that I think about it JEAN DEILLEMAN was the movie I wanted to burn, all the others I could live with.

At the time I wrote this Maya Deren was the only thing poppin in my head to use as an example. I guess we're reversed I actually liked the LYAM, I still don't get it but nodding off, while watching it added a weird feeling to it especially at 10:30am.

Where's SPIKE NOODLES?

Lori said...

I liked Marienbad...the FIRST time we screened it. But having to watch it EVERY semester made me dread it after a while.

Jean Dielman(sp?) was definitely the worst of the worst.

kegn_15 said...

Where's the love for Touch of Evil 2 ? So good, it makes Peter Jackson's Kong look like Gumby.

Much, much better than Welles version, which was shown every semester too

Unknown said...

i reember Mr. Buckethead, thanks for bringing this childhood memory back ;) yeah my hubbie is a pussy :D so you think Tiki's a girl huh?